*Targeted to Post-Secondary students*
This job posting represents multiple positions within different ministries and locations across Ontario. Ministry and job location details are listed below. You are required to identify the ministries and cities you are interested in applying to. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Applications are accepted online. Resumes and cover letters are not accepted. Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on the application form.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOEligibilityCriteria.asp') Eligibility Requirements (/a)
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Student Application Guide (/a) -item 1 in Key Resources
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Explanation of Rating Scale for Application Questions (/a) -item 2 in Key Resources
Detailed Position Breakdown:
Ministry of Environment
1 position at 1259 Gardiners Rd, K7P 3J6, Kingston
Ministry of Natural Resources
9 positions at 300 Water Street, Peterborough
1 position at 41 Hatchery Lane, Picton
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Assist staff with data collection, trend analysis and simple map preparation using Geographic Information System (GIS) software
• Collect, review, verify and enter information/data into database/form. Perform analysis and evaluation of information and data to produce reports
• Provide customer service assistance by responding to public and/or internal inquiries
• Field work may include technical investigations, inspections and site visits
• Office work may include graphic design for image reorganization/optimization and printing support
• Plan, organize, coordinate, and manage daily assigned work
• Work may require experience specified/listed in the questions below
How do I qualify?
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) due to program funding.
Some positions may require the successful candidate(s) to undergo a personal security screening check as a condition of employment.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You use customer service skills to assist clients by email and phone; to assist in responding to complaints, deal with public inquiries
• You apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, document findings, record data)
• You apply your initiative and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• You apply your knowledge and experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) such as ESRI ArcGIS suite to conduct data and trend analysis, including spatial trend analysis; prepare simple maps; track, compile and evaluate information
• You apply your experience using Microsoft Office product suite, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
• You apply your knowledge of environmental legislation or environmental science related to air, waste, land and water and experience in monitoring, conducting inspections, site visits (for some positions only)
• You apply your knowledge and experience with graphic design for image reorganization/optimization (for some positions only)
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You apply your planning and organizational skills to collect, organize, review and verify information/data through review of files, reports, and other means
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your time to meet competing deadlines