*Targeted to Post-Secondary students*
This job posting represents multiple positions within different ministries and locations across Ontario. Ministry and job location details are listed below. You are required to identify the ministries and cities you are interested in applying to. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Applications are accepted online. Resumes and cover letters are not accepted. Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on the application form.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOEligibilityCriteria.asp') Eligibility Requirements (/a)
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Student Application Guide (/a) -item 1 in Key Resources
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Explanation of Rating Scale for Application Questions (/a) -item 2 in Key Resources
Detailed Position Breakdown:
Ministry of Northern Development and Mines
11 positions at 933 Ramsey Lake Rd, Sudbury
What can I expect to do in this role?
You may be required to work on some or all of the following projects/tasks:
• Collect trace evidence samples for analysis
• Work with scientists and technologists to prepare, analyze and/or sort survey samples and standards, using various types of analytical instrumentation
• Prepare sample for shipping/distribution to assigned destinations/agencies/ workstations
• Perform data entry and/or updating records (e.g. in the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS))
• Work safely with equipment and chemical products and maintain all work areas, in a safe, neat and clean condition, ensuring accordance to Health & Safety and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) regulations and requirements
• Provide customer service assistance by responding to public and/or internal inquiries
• Position may require some physical activity, including bending and twisting, lifting and carrying weighted items, operating forklift and other lifting devices in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety Regulations
• Plan, organize, coordinate and manage daily assigned work
• Work may require experience specified/listed in the questions below
How do I qualify?
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) due to program funding.
Some positions may require the successful candidate(s) to undergo a personal security screening check as a condition of employment.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You apply your verbal, written, listening communication skills and customer service skills to respond to phone, email, and in-person inquiries and provide information to internal clients and/or public
• You apply your initiative and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• You use your knowledge of safe chemical laboratory practices using the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
• You sort samples safely to ensure they are distributed/delivered correctly
• You input data accurately and generate reports paying close attention to detail
• You apply your experience using Microsoft Office product suite, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You apply your planning and organizational skills to collect, organize, review and verify information/data through review of files, reports, and other means
• You apply your evaluative and analytical skills to analyze lab samples and perform quality control checks
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your time to meet competing deadlines
• You are able to track accurately the receiving and shipping of incoming goods, equipment and samples
• You can work in an outdoor environment with some physical activity involved, including bending and twisting, lifting and carrying weighted items, and operating forklift and other lifting devices in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety Regulations