*Targeted to Post-Secondary students*
This job posting represents multiple positions across Ontario. Job location details are listed below. You are required to identify the ministries and cities you are interested in applying to. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Applications are accepted online. Resumes and cover letters are not accepted. Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on the application form.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOEligibilityCriteria.asp') Eligibility Requirements (/a)
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Student Application Guide (/a) -item 1 in Key Resources
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Explanation of Rating Scale for Application Questions (/a) -item 2 in Key Resources
Detailed Position Breakdown:
Ministry of Natural Resources
9 positions at 300 Water Street, Peterborough
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Assist staff by performing field work to complete fish and wildlife population and habitat assessments including aerial and ground surveys, flora and fauna species identification, as well as assisting with project planning, support and implementation
• Assist staff by performing research and data compilation including assembling information from hardcopy and digital sources, performing data entry, and preparing a variety of documents
• Provide customer service assistance by responding to clients, staff and the public to address their needs
• Perform office and administrative duties (e.g. filing, photocopying, etc)
• Plan, organize, coordinate and manage daily assigned work
How do I qualify?
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) due to program funding.
Some positions may require the successful candidate(s) to undergo a personal security screening check as a condition of employment.
Communications and Interpersonal Skills
• You apply your written communication skills to prepare and maintain a variety of documents (e.g. reports, document findings, data, presentations, meeting minutes, etc.)
• You apply your oral communication and customer service skills to respond to phone, email, and in-person inquiries and provide information to internal clients and/or public
• You apply your interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a team environment and participate in meetings
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• You have knowledge of Ontario's flora and fauna, including species at risk
• You apply your experience using computer software, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases, geographic information systems, email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
• You apply your knowledge and experience by performing research and data compilation including assembling information from hardcopy and digital sources, and performing data entry
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You apply your organizational, time management and coordination skills to manage a varied work schedule with deadlines
• You can organize administrative and office work tasks (e.g. assemble information from hardcopy and digital sources, and perform data entry)
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines
• The operation of boats, motors and ATVs will be required to travel with staff on field trips to conduct surveys, data collection, mapping, inspections and interviews. You will work outdoors and in adverse weather conditions
• You can work in an outdoor environment with some physical activity involved, including traversing through fields, streams, and forests, in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations
• Some positions may require you to have a valid Ontario G2 driver's license (or higher)
• Some positions may require you to have or acquire a Pleasure Craft Operators Card