Do you have a strong background in environmental microbiology with practical experience in conducting semi-complex to complex bacteriological and microbiological tests? Do you enjoy working in a team environment? If this sounds like you, please consider this exciting opportunity.
What can I expect to do in this role?
Under the general supervision of the section manager, in an analytical laboratory performing microbiological analysis of environmental samples you will:
• Apply approved methods to prepare microbiological media and reagents, calibration standards, and quality control solutions
• Prepare environmental samples for analysis and perform the analysis using written approved methods;
• Carry out equipment standardization and other quality control functions such as calibration, standardization, recovery checks and control charting
• Monitor the operating equipment (e.g. autoclaves, dishwashers, pH meters) and conditions, troubleshoot and make appropriate adjustments and repairs
• Use the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) and software (word processing, spreadsheet etc.) to list and organize the data, to carry out calculations, and to report the results in support of Ministry programs
How do I qualify?
Technical Knowledge and Experience:
• You have knowledge of the scientific principles and practices applicable to environmental microbiology test protocols, procedures, methods and analytical systems
• You have practical experience in established environmental microbiology laboratory procedures, standards and techniques (e.g. aseptic laboratory techniques, spread plate analysis and MPN (Most Probable Number) and bacteriological media and reagent preparation
• You have practical experience with equipment and instrumentation associated with environmental microbiology sample preparation and analysis (e.g. membrane filtration, micropipettes, pH meters, analytical balances, waterbaths and autoclaves)
• You have knowledge of and practical experience in using quality standards associated with environmental microbiology and the use of quality control techniques such as control charting, calibration and recovery checks
• You have knowledge and experience with Laboratory Information Management System and Windows based software, such as word processing and spreadsheets
Knowledge of Legislation:
• You have knowledge of applicable occupational health and safety legislation and current practices, roles and responsibilities for an environmental microbiology laboratory such as universal precautions, bio-safety techniques, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
Analytical, Evaluation and Reasoning Skills:
• You are able to assess and resolve unusual problems arising out of testing and data interpretation
• You are able to confirm results when comparing expected versus actual output including implications
• You can select or develop standard or alternative testing procedures prior to formal documentation and control, to resolve problems
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
• You have oral and written communication skills to report complex, detailed test findings, to discuss interdependent testing procedures and to respond to requests for tests
• You have interpersonal skills to work as a member of a team and to participate in intra-laboratory activities such as quality initiatives