The Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) is seeking individuals with exceptional operational experience, analytical skills, and sound knowledge of market conduct and financial analysis principles and methodologies to lead and participate in market conduct field examinations (audits), financial assessment and reviews of financial institutions and licensed intermediaries in order to assess consumer protection and legislative compliance in all sectors regulated by FSCO.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As a Senior Compliance Officer, you will:
• Lead a compliance examination team and/or independently perform desk reviews or on-site market conduct examinations of financial service entities from FSCO regulated sectors, which includes insurance (life & health, property & casualty), mortgage broking, pension plans, credit unions and caisses populaires, cooperative corporations, and loan and trust companies;
• Provide project management and team leadership on specific desk reviews or on-site market conduct examinations of financial service entities regulated by FSCO, ensuring workplan objectives and timelines are met;
• Provide information, technical advice and guidance to the public, financial institutions and intermediaries related to the interpretation and application of market conduct or prudential compliance requirements of FSCO legislation, regulations, policies and business standards in Ontario.
How do I qualify?
Knowledge and/or working experience in operational areas within financial service sectors/industries that are regulated by FSCO:
• proven excellent knowledge of risk based regulatory principles, standards and techniques within a financial services environment;
• proven excellent knowledge and experience in performing detailed business analysis and financial analysis of financial service sectors/industries;
• proven knowledge and experience of operations of financial service sectors/industries.
Excellent knowledge and experience in internal audit, external audit, risk management and/or regulatory compliance functions. An understanding of the principles and practices of risk-based regulation and conducting market conduct assessments:
• Extensive knowledge and/or experience within an external or internal audit function, or similar role;
• proven knowledge and experience in conducting audit, risk management and/or regulatory compliance methodologies, practices and/or procedures;
• proven knowledge and experience of risk based methodology and the ability to apply this in a regulatory setting;
• proven experience in conducting market conduct reviews, risk analysis and assessments.
Superior team leadership, project management, research, analytical and organizational skills, and the ability to interpret legislation and policy:
• demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of cross-functional teams relating to different compliance and/or supervisory activities;
• proven project management and team leadership skills in a compliance and/or examination setting, both when working independently or in a team environment;
• demonstrated ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects and/or activities relating to different financial service sectors/categories;
• proven superior research, investigative and assessment skills to research routine, unique and complex compliance issues, receive inquiries and in response gather related information/data from a broad range of sources;
• proven skill/experience in analyzing information and preparing comprehensive case reports;
• proven experience in making sound analytical assessments, decisions and recommendations;
• proven organizational skills and the ability to make timely independent decisions in a high volume and fast paced work environment;
• proven ability and experience in interpreting legislation and policies related to the regulation of FSCO regulated financial service sectors/industries.
Superior communication skills, ability to exercise excellent judgment and provide effective customer service:
• demonstrated superior knowledge and skills of effective oral and written communication principles and methods;
• proven superior customer service and consultation skills with experience in effectively responding to inquiries from consumers, licensees, stakeholders and other parties;
• proven skills in exercising excellent judgment, based on sound principles/facts;
• demonstrated superior knowledge of writing and editing principles, practices, styles and techniques in preparing detailed analytical reports, briefing notes, complex correspondence and draft processes/procedures.
Note: The number of positions to be filled has not been identified at this time. This competition will be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates to fill upcoming opportunities within the next eighteen months following the closing date of the job ad posting.