Join the Centre of Forensic Sciences of the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services, where you will provide group leadership, mentoring, and supervision to technical staff by assigning work and providing training, advice, and resolution of technical issues.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this challenging role, you will:
• Supervise, review, and conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses of evidentiary materials, such as biological specimens, to ensure compliance with forensic laboratory quality systems and accreditation standards
• Be responsible for operating, maintaining and validating analytical instrumentation to ensure effective operation
• Conduct and supervise research projects and evaluate the need for process changes in order to reflect current standards and best practices in the field of forensic Toxicology
How do I qualify?
• Demonstrated knowledge of forensic quality assurance in order to ensure compliance with established laboratory accreditation standards, policies, methods, operating procedures, and quality assurance programs
• Demonstrated advanced knowledge of training and experience in laboratory practices and techniques as well as scientific theories in disciplines such as chemistry, pharmacology, biology, biochemistry, and their application to forensic science
• Understanding of evidence handling processes/practices to ensure the preservation of potential court evidence (such as continuity, chain of custody)
• You have demonstrated leadership skills within an interactive team environment, including the ability to plan and prioritize work, provide advice, train, and resolve problems
• You have excellent knowledge of the requirements of research and development in order to facilitate advances in the field of forensic toxicology examinations by evaluating current practices and recommending modifications or new procedures, equipment, or products
Technology Knowledge and Experience
• You have knowledge of emerging technology in the forensic sciences field as well as the operations/capabilities of highly scientifically advanced testing instruments, hardware, and software
• You are able to acquire knowledge of and set up, operate, maintain, validate and troubleshoot technical instrumentation (such as GC, GC-MS, IA, LC, LC-MS/MS) to ensure effective operations and production of reliable results
Analytical, Problem-Solving, and Evaluative Skills
• You can evaluate laboratory test results to identify discrepancies, recommend solutions, and check quality
• You are able to troubleshoot problems with laboratory equipment
• You can identify precautions to be taken in handling biohazards and toxic substances
• You can provide advice and resolution of technical issues
• You have good written and verbal communication skills to communicate with other Forensic Laboratories in support of research activities