How to Apply
1. Choose a Region â€“ As one of the largest employers in the province, we offer work in a variety of locations â€“ we have mapped out five regions based on boundaries we work within: North, East, West, Central and Toronto. Choose the region you are interested in to begin your job search.
2. Search Jobs â€“ You may further refine your job search beyond region by defining some or all of the following:
- CITY - Choose a city within the region. Note: Only cities with active job postings are available to choose from.
- JOB TYPE - Define one or more of the careers streams you are interested in:
- 18 career streams
- French-Language Service (FLS) job opportunities: Positions that require a level of French-language proficiency, which is the ability to communicate in French orally and/or in writing. The candidate will be expected to be proficient in both English and French.
- SALARY MINIMUM - By a minimum salary if a salary range is provided in the job ad
- JOB ID # - By the number assigned as a unique identifier for the job competition
3. Canâ€™t find what youâ€™re interested in? Receive an e-mail notification for up to nine months when new jobs are posted on our website that match the career stream you are interested in. Go to Job Alert to subscribe.
4. Understand the Job Ad â€“ Go to a description of job ad terms Be sure to check out â€˜More Infoâ€™ and if available, the â€˜Job Specâ€™ also found under the job advertisement to find out more about the position you are interested in. Here you will find out more details about what the job will entail as well as any benefits and entitlements. Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website. If the job posting you are interested in indicates a level of French-Language Service proficiency, and you are selected to continue in the hiring process, your ability to communicate and/or write in French will be assessed and rated against (in decreasing order of proficiency) superior, advanced-plus, advanced, or advanced-minus standards. Proficiency in both English and French is mandatory. Where a â€˜personnel screening checkâ€™ is noted as a requirement on the job ad, the top applicant will be required to have an OPS security clearance prior to an offer of employment. The evaluation panel will explain this process to candidates in more detail and will include the following:
- Verification of personal data (name, address, date of birth) with photo ID
- Reference check with previous employers (last five years) and given references
- Police records check
- Driver history check (for positions requiring a valid driverâ€™s license).
5. Pay attention to the specific application instructions noted in each job ad and be sure that you get your application in by the closing date. We will accept applications until 11:59 pm EST on the closing date.
6. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications outlined in the job ad. Ensure that you are concise and clearly communicate how your skills, knowledge and experience best meet the qualifications needed to do the job.
7. Apply to the competition via the method stated on the job advertisement. Each advertisement will specify the accepted methods of application for the competition. Be sure to indicate the Job ID# in your application.
- Apply Online: the majority of competitions require that you apply online. This fast and easy method of submitting your application is available to you as specified on the job advertisement. Simply look for the Apply Online icon to the bottom left of the job ad and follow the instructions to attach your cover letter and resume as one PDF (.pdf), WORD (.doc, .docx), plain text (.txt) or rich-text file (.rtf).
- Apply by e-mail, Mail or Fax: these methods of application are available to specific competitions only. Please pay close attention to the Contact Information on the job advertisement to determine if these methods of applying can be accepted.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request employment accommodation.
Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require employment accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruitment Services Centre via the Contact Information provided on the job advertisement.
8. Check Your Application Status - There are two ways to check the competition status for a competition. (1) When you apply online and provide an e-mail address at the time of application, you will receive an acknowledgement e-mail. It will contain a link that you can access at your convenience to view where we are in the hiring process for that position. Go to our hiring steps for a brief overview of what you can expect. (2) If you do not have an acknowledgement email, you can enter the numerical portion of the Job ID number into the search field on the main OPS Careers page; you will be directed to a copy of the advertisement and the competition status. If the competition status is not available, (e.g. you only see a copy of the job ad) the competition has yet to move forward to the screening stage of the competition.
Only those candidates invited to continue in the recruitment process will be contacted.
If you are invited to participate in our evaluation process, this is your chance to show us how you are the best person for the job. You can expect at least 3 different types of assessments. Most common is an interview, and depending on the qualifications of the job, could include written tests, presentations, etc. If you are contacted you will be provided with additional information about the evaluation process.
9. Check out the Top 10 OPS Interview Tips for preparing for an OPS interview.
10: Learn â€˜What to Expectâ€™ if you continue on through our hiring process.
- The invitation
- Other Assessment Methods
- The Selection Panel
- The Interview
- Reference Checks and Personnel Screening Checks