OPS Internship Program for Internationally Trained Individuals (ITIs)
The OPS Internship Program for Internationally Trained Individuals is an innovative internship program designed specifically for professional newcomers to Canada, so that they can earn valuable Canadian work experience in their professional fields within the Ontario Public Service (OPS). By participating in this program you can:
- Gain valuable Canadian work experience commensurate to your qualifications and international work experience;
- Acquire new skills and competencies to support the launch of your career in Canada;
- Benefit from on-going coaching and mentoring from Ontario Public Service employees;
- Better understand cultural differences and norms in the Canadian workplace, including Ontario Public Service and industry specific norms and practises;
- Share your existing knowledge, experience and international perspectives to create more culturally receptive and diverse working environments;
- Receive on the job learning and education;
- Benefit from Learning and Development opportunities offered by the Ontario Public Service and Career Edge Organization; and
- Enhance your networking opportunities.
The Ministry of Government Services’ Corporate Leadership Branch (CLB) administers the program across the Ontario Public Service in partnership with Career Edge Organization (www.careeredge.ca) through their Internationally Qualified Professionals Program, which serves newcomers to the province.
Career Edge, a not-for-profit organization, has been providing paid internship programs across Canada since 1996. It operates three programs catered to different audiences:
- New graduates;
- New graduates with disabilities; and
- Internationally Qualified Professionals
Over 1,000 host organizations have participated in the past including the City of Toronto, Royal Bank and Bell.
The Ontario Public Service has been recognized by Career Edge for its leadership in breaking down barriers for newcomers through the Internship Program for Internationally Trained Individuals.
For more information on the Career Edge Organization, please go to www.careeredge.ca.
Internationally trained individuals interested in becoming an intern apply directly to Career Edge Organization.
Candidates are screened for employment status, language ability and educational credentials before they are accepted into the registrant pool. To qualify, candidates must:
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Have been in Canada no longer than 3 years;
- Have a minimum of 3 years international work experience in their field;
- Have a minimum of a bachelor's degree with Canadian equivalency assessment;
- Be seeking Canadian work experience in unregulated occupations, such as business, technology and general management;
- Lack paid Canadian work experience in their profession;
- Be fluent in English or English and French (for bilingual positions).
For more information on how to become a candidate please go to Career Edge Organization at www.careeredge.ca.
Ontario Public Service internships will be posted on the Career Edge website and registrants interested in participating in the program apply online directly to Career Edge.
The Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration has information on other bridge training opportunities in Ontario.