*Targeted to Post-Secondary students*
This job posting represents multiple positions within different ministries and locations across Ontario. Ministry and job location details are listed below. You are required to identify the ministries and cities you are interested in applying to. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Applications are accepted online. Resumes and cover letters are not accepted. Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on the application form.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOEligibilityCriteria.asp') Eligibility Requirements (/a)
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Student Application Guide (/a) -item 1 in Key Resources
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Explanation of Rating Scale for Application Questions (/a) -item 2 in Key Resources
Detailed Position Breakdown:
Ministry of Labour
4 positions at 1290 Central Pkwy W, Mississauga
Ministry of Community & Social Services
1 position at 17310 Yonge St, Newmarket
What can I expect to do in this role?
You may be required to work on some or all of the following tasks:
• Collect and record data and samples
• Prepare and organize correspondence, perform data entry and word processing functions, and create various documents
• Perform qualitative and/or quantitative research, analysis and evaluation of information and data to produce reports and/or identify trends
• Provide customer service assistance by responding to public and/or internal inquiries
• Some positions may have field work that may be physically demanding and may require multi-day trips involving overnight travel
• Field work might include assisting district staff with research field studies and technical inspections and investigations
• Plan, organize, coordinate and manage daily assigned work
• Work may require experience specified/listed in the questions below
How do I qualify?
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) due to program funding.
Some positions may require the successful candidate(s) to undergo a personal security screening check as a condition of employment.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, document findings, record data)
• You apply your oral communications skills to communicate and share your knowledge with staff and support the delivery of education and outreach initiatives
• You apply your verbal, written, listening communication skills and customer service skills to respond to phone, email, and in-person inquiries and provide information to internal clients and/or public
• You apply your initiative and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• You apply your knowledge and experience with research methods, data collection and management, including tracking, data entry, maintaining databases and statistical analysis
• You apply your experience using Microsoft Office product suite, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You apply your planning and organizational skills to collect, organize, review and verify information/data through review of files, reports, and other means
• You apply your evaluative and analytical skills to evaluate information, conduct data and trend analysis and develop recommendations for environmental reports/projects
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your time to meet competing deadlines
• You can work in an outdoor environment with some physical activity involved, including lifting and carrying weighted items in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations
• You are willing to participate in field work that may include multi-day trips involving overnight travel