*Targeted to High-School students*
This job posting represents multiple positions within different ministries and locations across Ontario. Ministry and job location details are listed below. You are required to identify the ministries and cities you are interested in applying to. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Applications are accepted online. Resumes and cover letters are not accepted. Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on the application form.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOEligibilityCriteria.asp') Eligibility Requirements (/a)
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Student Application Guide (/a) -item 1 in Key Resources
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Explanation of Rating Scale for Application Questions (/a) -item 2 in Key Resources
Detailed Position Breakdown:
Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services
1 position at 2550 Trout Lake Rd, P1B 7S7, North Bay
Ministry of Environment
1 position at King St, P0P 1S0, Mindemoya
Ministry of Natural Resources
1 position at Highway 60, Lake Opeongo Road, Algonquin Park, Whitney
Ministry of Transportation
1 position at 3 Airport Road W, P0V 3A0, Pickle Lake
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Assist staff with ground and lawn maintenance, general building and equipment maintenance, e.g. painting, brush removal, clearing culverts, servicing equipment, tools and machinery
• Assist in carrying out inspections of facilities and grounds
• Complete maintenance and inspection records
• Position requires lifting and carrying weighted items in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations
How do I qualify?
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) due to program funding.
Some positions may require the successful candidate(s) to undergo a personal security screening check as a condition of employment.
The following skills will be developed on the job:
Communication and Organization Skills
• Written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, document findings, record data)
• Microsoft Office product suite skills, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; using the email and Internet to conduct research
• Administrative record keeping skills to complete daily log entries and maintenance reports of inspections
• Apply basic safe operating practices to work with machinery and equipment
• Conduct mechanical maintenance of grounds, buildings, and lawn care equipment and tools (e.g. tractors, law mowers, weed trimmers and portable pumps)
• You will be provided with training on the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
Interpersonal, Team-work and Other Skills
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work
• Interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Requirements and Work Habits
• Ability to work in an outdoor environment with some physical activity involved, including lifting and carrying weighted items in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations
• Ability and comfort in operating small machinery and using lawn care tools
• Following directions and seeking clarification
• Attention to detail; to record information accurately and to process and prepare administrative paperwork and payments
• Being punctual