*Targeted to Post-Secondary and High-school students*
This job posting represents multiple positions across Ontario. Job location details are listed below. You are required to identify the ministries and cities you are interested in applying to. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Applications are accepted online. Resumes and cover letters are not accepted. Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on the application form.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOEligibilityCriteria.asp') Eligibility Requirements (/a)
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Student Application Guide (/a) -item 1 in Key Resources
- (a href='http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/SEOKeyResources.asp') Explanation of Rating Scale for Application Questions (/a) -item 2 in Key Resources
For MNR Park locations across Ontario please refer to the (a href='http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/ont_map.html') map here. (/a)
Detailed Position Breakdown:
Southwest Provincial Park Zone
3 positions at Rock Point Provincial Park, 215 Niece Road, Dunnville - No staff accommodations available
9 positions at Rondeau Provincial Park, 18050 Rondeau Park Road, R.R. #1, Morpeth - No staff accommodations available
1 position at Fish Point Provincial Nature Reserve , 1073 West Shore Road, Pelee Island - No staff accommodations available
10 positions at Port Burwell Provincial Park, 9 Wilson Lane, Port Burwell - No staff accommodations available
4 positions at Long Point Provincial Park, 350 Erie Blvd, Port Rowan - No staff accommodations available
5 positions at Selkirk Provincial Park, 151 Wheeler Road, R.R. #1, Selkirk - No staff accommodations available
5 positions at Turkey Point Provincial Park, 194 Turkey Point Road, Turkey Point - No staff accommodations available
11 positions at Wheatley Provincial Park, 21116 Klondyke Road South, Wheatley - No staff accommodations available
1 position at Ojibway Prairie Provincial Nature Reserve , 5200 Matchette Road, Windsor - No staff accommodations available
What can I expect to do in this role?
The Park Ranger job type has a variety of positions available within the Provincial parks. You can identify on the job application form which position(s) within the Park Ranger job ad are of interest to you.
The position descriptions are outlined below:
• Gate Attendant – assists with issuing park permits, day to day park operations, performing clerical and customer service functions;
• Interior Ranger – travels into the interior of a Provincial Park on a day or multi-day trips performing campsite, portage and trail maintenance;
• Administrative Assistant – performs clerical and administrative functions;
• GIS Data Technician - uses Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software to conduct data and trend analysis, including spatial trend analysis;
• Trail Maintenance – assists with trail maintenance and development utilizing hand tools;
• Natural Heritage Education Assistant - assists with the delivery of Natural Heritage Education programs;
• Maintenance Worker – performs unskilled manual labor duties and operates light power equipment;
• Park Planner – supports the delivery of a park planning program;
• Park Store Sales Clerk – assists with grocery and merchandise retail sales and clerical activities;
How do I qualify?
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) due to program funding.
Some positions may require the successful candidate(s) to undergo a personal security screening check as a condition of employment.
Communications and Customer Service skills
• You apply oral and written communication skills communicate information related to programs, prepare a variety of documents and respond to public and/or internal inquiries by phone, email, and in-person
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your time to meet competing deadlines
• Apply basic safe operating practices to work with machinery and equipment
• Conduct maintenance of grounds, buildings, and equipment and use of machinery, equipment and tools (e.g. lawn mowers, weed trimmers)
• Basic mathematical skills to perform cash handling duties
• You apply your experience using Microsoft Office product suite, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
• You apply your experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) such as ESRI ArcGIS suite to conduct data and trend analysis, including spatial trend analysis; prepare simple maps; track, compile and evaluate information
• Ability to follow instructions, and seeking clarification as required
• Ability to apply attention to detail and to record information accurately
Other Requirements – Some positions require:
• You must have a valid Ontario G2 Driver's Licence (or higher)
• You are able to work shifts, weekends with irregular schedule up to 36.25 hours per week
• You must have a valid and current Pleasure Craft Operators Card
• Ability to work in an outdoor environment with some physical activity involved, including lifting and carrying weighted items in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations
• Training on the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
• Ability and comfort operating small machinery, equipment and using lawn care tools