Are you a result- driven professional with demonstrated leadership abilities? If so, we need you to lead a team of individuals in the Kenora District Office to ensure the business goals of environmental protection, compliance, and conservation are achieved.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• lead and supervise staff in multi-disciplinary teams undertaking complex environmental remedial projects, inspections and investigations
• Monitor use of resources, shifting priorities, and work load pressures
• Provide technical guidance and direction to staff
• Make decisions regarding enforcement actions and ensure implementation of abatement programs
• create strong partnerships and stakeholder involvement and awareness
How do I qualify?
Valid class G Ontario driver's licence to travel to remote locations in the region not accessible by public transportation.
• You have knowledge of legal instruments (e.g. Certificates of Approval, permits and licensing processes, Provincial Officer's Reports, Field Orders/other Orders, Ministry appeal processes, etc.)
• You know how to apply abatement technologies and practices (e.g. air pollution control, wastewater treatment, waste management, etc.) and inspection and auditing methods
• You know the requisite compliance tools and legislative framework (e.g. Environmental Protection Act, Ontario Water Resources Act, Environmental Assessment Act), and PRPIR practices and procedures
• You know spill response procedures and the role of other agencies responding to spill situations
• You have an understanding of the applied sciences (e.g. hydrogeology, biology, chemistry, phytotoxicology, engineering) and industrial and agricultural processes and how they apply to environmental situations
• You have knowledge and skills in program delivery and policy development as well as evaluation and business planning processes
• You understand financial controls and budgetary and financial processes
• You can provide expert testimony and evidence on environmental issues at legal proceedings
• You know how to use computers and related software (e.g. spread sheet, word processing, presentation, database) and information management systems
Leadership, Issues Management and Project Management Skills
• You are a proven leader and have supervisory skills to effectively manage staff
• You know how to manage and respond to contentious and politically sensitive issues
• You have the ability to learn and carry out fair and transparent human resources management practices
• You can analyze complex, technical information
• You have project management experience
Consultation, Negotiation, Mediation and Communication Skills:
• You have demonstrated consultation, facilitation and mediation skills to build consensus and develop partnerships and stakeholder relationships
• You know how to negotiate contractual agreements
• You can communicate and present technical information in a clear manner to different audiences
• You can develop a variety of written materials (e.g. house notes, briefing notes, reports, correspondence)