This job posting represents multiple positions within different ministries and locations across Ontario noted in the city list above. You will be required to identify the cities you are interested in applying to. Because some cities may be located in distant or remote areas in Ontario please confirm the location using Google Maps when applying. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on this application form. Resumes and cover letters cannot be attached.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Apply Online - Student Application Guide - item 1 in Key Resources
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Assist staff by performing research and data compilation including assembling information from hardcopy and digital sources, performing data entry and preparing geological material for sampling and analysis
• Assist staff by performing field work including site visits to outcrops, mineral deposits, occurrences and mine sites, prospector's claims and exploration sites
• Provide customer service assistance by responding to clients, staff and the public to address their needs
• Perform office and administrative duties (e.g. filing, photocopying, map reproduction, and digital drafting)
• Conduct Internet searches and data analyses; using maps and statistical information
• Position may require lifting and carrying weighted items in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations
• Plan, organize, coordinate and manage daily assigned work
• Work may require experience specified/listed in the questions below or other similar tasks as assigned
How do I qualify?
All positions require students to be 15 years of age on the first day of employment with no age limit.
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) on the first day of employment due to program funding.
Some positions on this job ad will require the successful candidate to undergo a general-level screening check, which includes a criminal record check, at their own expense
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You apply your written communication skills to prepare and maintain a variety of documents (e.g. reports, document findings, record data, presentations, meeting minutes, etc.)
• You apply your verbal, written and listening communication skills and customer service skills to respond to phone, email, and in-person inquiries and provide information to internal clients and/or public
• You apply your initiative interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• You apply your experience using Microsoft Office product suite, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
• You apply your knowledge and experience by performing research and data compilation including assembling information from hardcopy and digital sources, performing data entry and preparing geological material for sampling and analysis
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You apply your organizational, time management and coordination skills to manage a varied work schedule with deadlines
• You can organize administrative and office work tasks (e.g. assemble information from hardcopy and digital sources, perform data entry, prepare geological material for sampling and analysis, etc.)
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your time to meet competing deadlines
• You can work in an outdoor environment with some physical activity involved, including lifting and carrying weighted items in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations
• You are willing to accompany geology staff on field trips of 2 to 3 days in duration to complete traverses through fields and forest