This job posting represents multiple positions within different ministries and locations across Ontario noted in the city list above. You will be required to identify the cities you are interested in applying to. Because some cities may be located in distant or remote areas in Ontario please confirm the location using Google Maps when applying. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on this application form. Resumes and cover letters cannot be attached.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Apply Online - Student Application Guide - item 1 in Key Resources
What can I expect to do in this role?
You may be required to work on some or all of the following projects/tasks:
• Collect trace evidence samples for analysis
• Work with scientists and technologists to prepare, analyze and/or sort survey samples and standards, using various types of analytical instrumentation
• Prepare sample for shipping/distribution to assigned destinations/agencies/ workstations
• Perform data entry and/or updating records (e.g. in the Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS))
• Work safely with equipment and chemical products and maintain all work areas, in a safe, neat and clean condition, ensuring accordance to Health & Safety and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS) regulations and requirements
• Provide customer service assistance by responding to public and/or internal inquiries
• Position may require some physical activity, including bending and twisting, lifting and carrying weighted items, operating forklift and other lifting devices in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety Regulations
• Plan, organize, coordinate and manage daily assigned work
• Work may require experience specified/listed in the questions below or other similar tasks as assigned
How do I qualify?
All positions require students to be 15 years of age on the first day of employment with no age limit.
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) on the first day of employment due to program funding.
Some positions on this job ad will require the successful candidate to undergo a general-level screening check, which includes a criminal record check, at their own expense.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You apply your verbal, written, listening communication skills and customer service skills to respond to phone, email, and in-person inquiries and provide information to internal clients and/or public
• You apply your initiative and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• You use your knowledge of safe chemical laboratory practices using the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
• You sort samples safely to ensure they are distributed/delivered correctly
• You input data accurately and generate reports paying close attention to detail
• You apply your experience using Microsoft Office product suite, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You apply your planning and organizational skills to collect, organize, review and verify information/data through review of files, reports, and other means
• You apply your evaluative and analytical skills to analyze lab samples and perform quality control checks
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your time to meet competing deadlines
• You are able to track accurately the receiving and shipping of incoming goods, equipment and samples
• You can work in an outdoor environment with some physical activity involved, including bending and twisting, lifting and carrying weighted items, and operating forklift and other lifting devices in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety Regulations