This job posting represents multiple positions within different ministries and locations across Ontario noted in the city list above. You will be required to identify the cities you are interested in applying to. Because some cities may be located in distant or remote areas in Ontario please confirm the location using Google Maps when applying. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on this application form. Resumes and cover letters cannot be attached.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Apply Online - Student Application Guide - item 1 in Key Resources
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Assist staff with data collection, trend analysis and simple map preparation using Geographic Information System (GIS) software
• Collect, review, verify and enter information/data into database/form. Perform analysis and evaluation of information and data to produce reports
• Provide customer service assistance by responding to public and/or internal inquiries
• Field work may include technical investigations, inspections and site visits
• Office work may include graphic design for image reorganization/optimization and printing support
• Plan, organize, coordinate, and manage daily assigned work
• Work may require experience specified/listed in the questions below or other similar tasks as assigned
How do I qualify?
All positions require students to be 15 years of age on the first day of employment with no age limit.
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) on the first day of employment due to program funding.
Some positions on this job ad will require the successful candidate to undergo a general-level screening check, which includes a criminal record check, at their own expense.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You use customer service skills to assist clients by email and phone; to assist in responding to complaints, deal with public inquiries
• You apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, document findings, record data)
• You apply your initiative and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• You apply your knowledge and experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) such as ESRI ArcGIS suite to conduct data and trend analysis, including spatial trend analysis; prepare simple maps; track, compile and evaluate information
• You apply your experience using Microsoft Office product suite, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
• You apply your knowledge of environmental legislation or environmental science related to air, waste, land and water and experience in monitoring, conducting inspections, site visits (for some positions only)
• You apply your knowledge and experience with graphic design for image reorganization/optimization (for some positions only)
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You apply your planning and organizational skills to collect, organize, review and verify information/data through review of files, reports, and other means
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your time to meet competing deadlines