This job posting represents multiple positions within different ministries and locations across Ontario noted in the city list above. You will be required to identify the cities you are interested in applying to. Because some cities may be located in distant or remote areas in Ontario please confirm the location using Google Maps when applying. Note: relocation expenses are not covered by ministries.
Describe your skills, knowledge and relevant paid work or volunteer experience in the related questions on this application form. Resumes and cover letters cannot be attached.
To assist you with the application process please visit the Summer Employment Opportunities website and view the following resources:
- Eligibility Requirements
- Apply Online - Student Application Guide - item 1 in Key Resources
What can I expect to do in this role?
You may be required to work on some or all of the following tasks:
• Assist staff with transportation field work by collecting and analyzing data, inventories and surveys
• Assist with transportation inspections and documentation of activities
• Field work may also include patrolling highways to identify maintenance defects, collection of information related to structures, driveways/billboards using a handheld Global Positioning System (GPS), measuring distances, staking sign locations
• Office work may include inputting the information collected, completing diaries/paperwork, assisting Area Office staff with field data collection for future in-house design projects, assisting with filing and preparing reports, general office duties
• Position may require lifting and carrying weighted items in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations
• Plan, organize, coordinate and manage daily assigned work
• Work may require experience specified/listed in the questions below or other similar tasks as assigned
How do I qualify?
All positions require students to be 15 years of age on the first day of employment with no age limit.
Some positions require students to be 15-24 years of age (or 15-29 years of age if you are a person with a disability) on the first day of employment due to program funding.
Some positions on this job ad will require the successful candidate to undergo a general-level screening check, which includes a criminal record check, at their own expense.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, document findings, record data)
• You apply your oral communications skills to communicate and share your knowledge with staff and/or clients
• You apply your initiative and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
Technical Skills and Knowledge
• You apply basic knowledge of highway engineering, contract administration and/or maintenance gained either through practical experience and/or academic training
• You apply your knowledge and experience with Geographic Information System (GIS) software and hand-held GPS unit to accurately collect and compile information
• You apply your experience using Microsoft Office product suite, such as word processing (Word), spreadsheets (Excel), databases; email and Internet to conduct research and prepare a variety of documents
Analytical and Organizational Skills
• You apply your administrative and record keeping skills to complete daily log entries, complete maintenance reports of inspections
• You apply analytical and problem solving skills to research, collect, analyze, synthesize and summarize data and information
• You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your time to meet competing deadlines
• You are capable of performing manual activities including lifting and carrying weighted items (in accordance with the Employment Standards Act and Workplace Health and Safety regulations), conducting inspections in overgrown, uneven or wet ground
• You work in an outdoor environment independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines
• You must have a valid Ontario G2 Driver's Licence (or higher) with an excellent record