Competition Status: Position Filled
Approximately 48 individuals applied for this opportunity.
We have completed the recruitment process and successfully hired the top candidate into the position.
To look for other job opportunities that match your skills and experience go to Job Search. You may also subscribe to our Job Alert service to receive emails when new jobs open up that match your determined search criteria.
Thank you for your interest in the Ontario Public Service.
DIRECTOR, AVIATION, FOREST FIRE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Provincial Services Division
SMG2 - Senior Mgmt Group 2
$115,000.00 - $131,450.00 Per Year
Interested in a role that will be responsible for public safety and emergency response programs? Consider an opportunity where you will directly impact the protection of human life, communities, natural resources, infrastructure and ecological sustainability, through forest fire management, aviation services and emergency management.
The Director of Aviation, Forest Fire and Emergency Services is responsible for protecting people, property and communities from natural hazards and related emergencies. In this key role, you will provide leadership to forest fire management services for the province; be the Ministry's accountable executive for operation of specialized aviation services; and oversee Ministry emergency management (e.g., Flooding, soil erosion) and continuity of operations.
What can I expect to do in this role?Reporting to the Assistant Deputy Minister of Provincial Services, the Director will:
• DEVELOP strategic policy proposals, program alternatives and operational delivery for Forest Fire Management, Aviation Services, and the Ministry's emergency and continuity of operations planning and response.
• OVERSEE a geographically-dispersed branch of approximately 400 regular staff and 1000 seasonal staff along with the management of capital assets including facilities (i.e., fire bases, hangars), 29 aircraft, and specialty vehicles and equipment in a decentralized delivery model in communities throughout Ontario.
• LEAD a centralized planning, preparedness and incident command system for forest fire management in Ontario and Ontario's support and assistance to other provincial, national and international forest fire emergencies.
• DIRECT the operation of provincial aviation services including non-scheduled air operations, maintenance, and safety oversight and management with respect to a fleet of 29 aircraft and an equal amount of contracted services, including meeting all required Transport Canada safety and regulatory requirements to maintain required Aviation Operating Certificates.
• REPRESENT the government and the ministry as a member of the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre -Management Committee, and speak to Ontario's interest to implement and deliver a national Mutual Aid Resource Sharing Agreement.
• GUIDE the planning, negotiation, procurement, contract management and implementation of operational services and capital asset investments totaling $200 million annually; and oversee the branch's multi-faceted financial system that includes consolidated revenue funds, variable emergency expenditure, and cost recovery programs.
• CHAMPION safety and well-being in the workplace including adherence to both CSA Z1000 health and safety and aviation Safety Management Systems; inclusion and diversity principles and promoting teamwork, leadership, and succession planning.
NOTE: There is a requirement of significant travel by road, commercial and MNRF aircraft, including air travel related to wildfire and other natural incidents.
How do I qualify?
Leadership Experience:• You have experience leading large teams and understand the importance of a positive, safe, diverse and inclusive work culture.
• You can lead and influence people while promoting business line integration, improved program delivery and policy development.
Operational Oversight:• You have significant experience in senior leadership position within a fire service, aviation, or related emergency services field.
• You have managed large, public-facing delivery operations with staff in multiple locations.
• You have experience planning and working in a regulatory environment that supports operational compliance.
• You recognize the need for change and challenge to the status quo.
• You focus on quality and continuous improvement.
• You understand the ecological role of forest fires and concepts of forest fire management.
Emergency Management:• Your background includes practical experience leading people and organizations through significant emergencies.
• You have significant experience in senior leadership position within a fire service or related emergency services field.
• You are familiar with emergency management best practices and have implemented them successfully.
• You are knowledgeable of Ontario's fire services, including its operations, stakeholders, challenges and opportunities.
Relationship and Issues Management:• You have credibility and developed relationships within government, communities and fire/emergency services groups.
• You have proven political acuity and ability to manage complex issues within an organization with high public profile and scrutiny.
• You have experience negotiating, seeking consensus and communicating decisions and change programs.
- 1 Permanent, 70 Foster Dr, Sault Ste Marie, North Region
Senior Management Group
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Sunday, February 7, 2016 11:59 pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be
provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated
bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English
and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d'emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais
et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés
bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans
la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.