Competition Status: Position Filled
Fewer than thirty individuals applied for this opportunity.
We have completed the recruitment process and successfully hired the top candidate into the position.
To look for other job opportunities that match your skills and experience go to Job Search. You may also subscribe to our Job Alert service to receive emails when new jobs open up that match your determined search criteria.
Thank you for your interest in the Ontario Public Service.
Ministry of Government Services
Archives of Ontario
07964 - Librarian 3
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Archivists at the Archives of Ontario acquire and manage records with high evidential, informational and legal value, documenting the key activities and decisions of the Government of Ontario and the development of Ontario society. We seek a Senior Archivist to accept this exciting opportunity to work on the Collections Development and Management team.
What can I expect to do in this role?You will:
• appraise and acquire archival records from government and private sources
• arrange and describe records according to institutional standards
• provide reference services to clients
• participate in outreach activities
• provide team and group leadership to archivists and temporary staff for functional/cross functional projects
• independently plan and conduct appraisals, develop provincewide acquisition plans and strategies and determine scheduling priorities
• provide expert advice on archival practices to management and other staff at the Archives
Please note: you may be required to move 35-50lb containers of archival material
How do I qualify?
MandatoryTechnical Archival Knowledge:
• sound knowledge and experience in archival appraisal, acquisition, arrangement and description, preservation and access issues
• advanced knowledge of archival theory and practice including Rules for Archival Description
• demonstrated ability to acquire and apply knowledge and understanding of legislation governing access and use of Ontario government records (e.g. Archives Act, FIPPA, Copyright Act)
Communication, Customer Service, Negotiation Skills:
• demonstrated oral and written communication skills
• strong customer service, interpersonal and negotiation skills
Leadership, Coordination Skills:
• demonstrated ability to set priorities, work with minimal supervision
• effective time management skills and good judgement to guide other staff and organize, plan and coordinate projects
Other Essential Knowledge/Skills:
• sound knowledge of Ontario history and the history, structure and functions of the Ontario government.
• sound understanding of IT to analyze and advise on archival value of existing, proposed and obsolete electronic systems content
- 1 Permanent, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd, North York, Toronto Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Administrative and Support Services
Monday, October 4, 2010
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be
provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated
bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English
and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d'emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais
et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés
bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans
la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.