Approximately 131 individuals applied for this opportunity.
We are screening ALL applications received on or before the closing date and rating them against the qualifications outlined in the job ad. Applicants whose resume and cover letter best demonstrate how they meet the qualifications to do the job will be invited to continue in the hiring process.
To learn about our recruitment process, visit our Hiring Steps
LEAD DATA SCIENTIST
Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Health System Information Management Division
7A008 - ProgPlanEval07
$73,769.00 - $107,220.00 Per Year
Are you looking for a great opportunity to showcase your data science expertise, machine learning wizardry, and statistical/analytical knowledge and skills? Do you want to be a part of the changes that affect the healthcare of Ontario? If so, we want to hear from you!
We are looking for a motivated professional to join our team, and provide Ministry wide leadership and expertise in the field of health Data Science Analytics in order to improve the health care system in accordance with Ontario Public Service (OPS) principles and objectives.
What can I expect to do in this role?In this role you will:
• develop data science analytic approaches such as machine learning, deep learning, and natural language programming
• support the development and delivery of Ministry-specific analytics and produce actionable insights
• lead the development of the Ministry's data science strategy through extensive consultation across the OPS
• make strategic recommendations on data collection, integration, and retention requirements incorporating business requirements
• provide team leadership, direction and guidance to staff, including assigning responsibilities, providing oversight, ensuring quality of work and resolving service issues
How do I qualify?
Analytical Knowledge and Skills• you have knowledge of analytical methods, techniques, and tools such as statistical analysis and modelling, data mining, machine learning, algorithms, and natural language processing
• you have the ability to synthesize facts, theories, trends, inferences, and key issues, in complex and variable situations
• you can recognize abstract patterns and relationships between apparently unrelated entities or situations
Computer Skills• you have programming skills in the areas of big data (e.g., Hadoop MapReduce), machine learning (e.g. python), statistical modelling (e.g., SAS or R), and visual analytics (e.g., Tableau, SAS visual analytics)
• you have computer proficiency to conduct research, analyses and use applications to retrieve and manipulate data from databases located on different platforms
• you have knowledge of software applications for the analysis of data, database management software and the Internet to develop communication vehicles
Evaluation and Problem Solving Skills• you have strategic thinking skills to develop long term objectives, strategies and goals and to think in future oriented terms
• you can assess both qualitative and quantitative information to evaluate the implications and impact of proposed policy changes
• you are proficient in data science concepts, statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, and multivariate testing
• you can analyze information on service delivery models in other jurisdictions and determine their feasibility and cost benefits for Ontario
Knowledge and Skills• you have knowledge of data management, financial and business analysis, database architecture, and information visualization
• you have knowledge and experience in mathematics and statistics
• you have the ability to interpret and apply knowledge of legislation related to access and release of health information and data
• you have the ability to acquire knowledge of health care system trends, models of delivery, funding, and governance, and understanding of issues and concerns faced by health stakeholders
• you have project management skills to leadership on concurrent projects, work collaboratively with team members and manage deadlines and competing priorities
Communication Skills• you can prepare and present scenarios, reports, planning frameworks, speeches, presentations and briefing papers, and develop documents synthesizing a variety of ideas, views and issues
• you have consensus-building and networking skills to maintain relationships with stakeholders and develop support for key initiatives
• you can provide technical direction, leadership and guidance on data science within the ministry and across the Ontario Public Service
• you have advisory skills to act as an expert corporate resource on evidence-based decision making, performance measurement, program evaluation, accountability, government effectiveness and efficiency
- 1 Permanent, 1075 Bay St, Toronto, Toronto Region
Association of Management, Administrative and Professional Crown Employees of Ontario
Policy and Analysis
Thursday, January 26, 2017
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee's exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Thursday, February 16, 2017 11:59 pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be
provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated
bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English
and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d'emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais
et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés
bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans
la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.